Your Hero

My photo
You should find an "existential" reason to read this blog. Let it be whatever you want it to be. But I promise that you will not find that my facade is constructed by a socialite engineer, but a real person; a person who's life you can relate to your own.

15 June 2009

I think I just got a spider bite

I never really laid out the timeline of this job. The first week is just staff training. Campers won't show up for about another week. So, yesterday which was day one (but more of a half day really) was mostly spent just hanging out with people getting to know everyone, touring the camp, and getting generally acquainted with "the flow" of everything.

Currently, I am sitting under a maple tree, while on my laptop, listening to Shawn Mitiska's remix of Andy Moor's 'So Much More". It's totally ironic of course. Here I am in the beautiful and protected outdoor woods of Michigan tuning out the sights and sounds around me for something less complex, less meaningful, and
less scenic.

Perhaps I was too harsh about Day 1? As fair as it was to consider it "shallow" as I stated, I do think that should be taken as a negative judgement towards people. Many of the people here are already friends. I do think I am mostly in the minority when it comes to wanting to know people based on their beliefs and experiences. Should I have really expected most people to want to just jump right in and go at it on the first day? Probably not.

Regardless, second chances are deserved.

Last night, a few hours after the first post, I came back to the cabin and looked up at the clearing in the sky which revealed the stars in as many and as bright as I have ever seen. The whole sky was filled with light. Being from a city that has massive air and light pollution, it's not something that I see every day. Whatever bad that could have come from yesterday could never outweigh just one minute of watching the sky and looking at the stars in all their awe and beauty.

It turned out to be a good night, in retrospect. But today is less than half over, we'll soon find what it could hold as well. Anyway, off to swim testing, so, signing out.

No comments: