Your Hero

My photo
You should find an "existential" reason to read this blog. Let it be whatever you want it to be. But I promise that you will not find that my facade is constructed by a socialite engineer, but a real person; a person who's life you can relate to your own.

18 June 2009

Elasticity of Time

Tonight marks the fifth full night that I will have been at camp. But, it feels like I have been here for years, it is as if this is all I have ever known. Here is the routine that has solidified: (roughly?)

8:17 - I wake
8:20 - flag
8:30 - Breakfast
9:15 - Activity 1
10:00 - Activity 2
10:45 - Activity 3
12:00 - Lunch
12:45 - Quiet Time
2:00 - Activitity 4
2:45 - Activity 5
3:30 - Activity 6
4:15 - Activity 7
5:00 - Dinner
6:00 - Whole Group Activity
8:00 - Camp Council
9:00 - Cabin Commitee
10:00ish - 10:30ish lights out (at counselors descretion)

Repeat.
Again.
Again.
And again.

I'm fairly happy with the selection of the group of kids I'm with, the other counselors in my cabin, and the location of the cabin) So all, in all, I can't complain yet. There are a few people here I could build good friendships with and let foudations for friendships form. But, in contrast, more people I would rather not become close with. Hell, honestly there are people I don't want to be as close as "far" from them.

Unfortunately, a handful of people here are far too self involved to ever even consider the thoughts that other people may have, unless those thoughts were with themselves as the targeted of those thoughts. I can certainly be totally agreeable to people who are narcissistic and/or self-obsessed when they somewhat blend socially with the people around them. My big problem is when you get swaggering, egomaniacal type, who not only boast being in love with themselves in the way they walk and appear, but, ALWAYS (by always I mean talking every second spent awake) talk about themselves whenever they talk. It might even be tolerable if the stories were told once. But they are told over again and again incessantly without failing to use the pronoun "I," in mythical proportions. The self proclaimations seem to tour through the camp as if campaigning for the office of cool. The thing is, I remember people doing this in middle school, hell maybe even a tiny bit in highschool. But, really? You're in college? Jesus H. F. C. grow up. By the end of this time in camp, you will hear these words from my mouth - "You cannot possibly hear me now, over the sound of your own arrogance, which muffles the sights and sounds of the world around you like the fog and the wind. I do not hope for bad things to come to you, but I do hope for your sake that you have not yet blinded yourself of others by only having sight for yourself." But then I remember why I would have to say it at all, and I realize the irony. More this weekend, as I will be all alone out here in the wild.

No comments: